Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Good for you

Quinoa. Think vegan. Think healthy. Think not-really-for-me. But we recently cooked up some quinoa with fresh mushrooms thrown right into the rice cooker, and topped it roasted broccoli. A dinner I'm proud of making and eating, especially when able to resist the 10:00 pm cereal bowl that inevitably follows a meal that's so good for you.

It wasn't oustanding, but I think I can learn to love it. Mike spruced it up by using a shrimp stock he made earlier in the week to cook the quinoa. I undersalted everything as usual. And yet, we produced a filling, healthy and inexpensive dinner. I've got to look up other recipes made with this protein-rich grain; I'm committed to making this stuff a lot more often, so I'm going to have to learn how to make it tasty.

*Photos courtesy of Mike. Cross design of Broccoli-on-Quinoa, also courtesy of Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment