Wednesday, March 24, 2010

425 until brown

I'm a big fan of roasting vegetables. I don't think there's a tastier, easier way to prepare them. Steaming tastes awful. Sauteeing veggies is a bit better but it often leaves the same steamed effect. Boiling is doubly wrong - lose vitamins and flavor? No, thank you.

Roasting any vegetable at 425 degrees until they're caramelized and brown is the way to go, in my book. You can take any veggie, drizzle it with olive oil and salt (you can fancy it up with pepper and dried spices but it's so. not. necessary.), and pop it in the oven at 425. As I like to tell my roast-impaired friends, when you think it's browned and done, wait another 10 minutes. Then it's done.

We've been on a roasting kick lately. I already knew about the delights of roasted broccoli and cauliflower, asparagus and squashes, tomatoes and eggplant. But kale? Leeks? Bok choi? These are transformed at 425 degrees until brown. We're talking all of the taste and crunch of a potato chip, then add nutritional value and take away the calories.

I'll post pictures soon. But I promise you they won't look nearly as good as they taste. (It's true. The picture of roasted leeks below just doesn't convey the crispety, crunchety, salty goodness created when you put these raw onions in the oven.)

No comments:

Post a Comment