Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sonoran hot dog

In Tucson, Arizona, there are at least two spots known 'round the land for producing a high-quality Sonoran hot dog.

Last year, we tried BK's. The hot dog was good, loaded with things I'd never had on a hot dog until then. But the taco I ordered to complement my dog was even better.

This time, we tried BK's competitor, El Guero Canelo.*

Since we popped in between lunch and dinner, we each got only one hot dog -- mine was once again fully loaded, wrapped in bacon and topped with beans, tomatoes, chopped white onion, cheese, mustard, sour cream and limes and salsa. Mike scaled his down a little, opting out of the onions and mustard. (I know, I don't get it, either!)

I didn't think there was a big distinction between BK's or Guero Canelo; they both make a mean Sonoran dog.

*Long before I met Mike or knew the restaurant existed, I was familiar with the Calexico song bearing the Guero Canelo name. If you've never heard it -- or if you're unfortunate enough to be unfamiliar with Calexico in general - give it a listen. It's not about hot dogs, but it's just as good.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if there's an Austin food trailer yet doing the Sonoran hot dog thing. Hmmm ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read, great ideas, out of the box thinking. The gang at Boner Billy’s is working hard to bring
    Its line of hot dogs, and themed apparel products to market. When we run across outstanding information like this, we are inspired and full of good ideas, great job!

    ReplyDelete